My Second Journey Back Into Life by Joann Jungels

I didn’t think it could happen to me. I thought God was done with me after being hit by a drunk driver and having a miscarriage in my third month of pregnancy. I was so wrong.

Suicide, how could this happen to me? I quickly learned that suicide does not discriminate, no matter what you may think. It has nothing to do with color, race, age, or any other beliefs you may have.

It happened to me on a fall night in September of 2014. Sleeping in my bed, my husband woke me from a deep sleep. Two police officers stood outside with the news that my daughter had been found less than a mile from our home and that she had died. I stood outside in disbelief, saying “no, no, no, this can’t be happening!” That night would forever change me.

Suicides are sometimes planned by those attempting to do it. My daughter, having a medical background knew how much medication it would take to get the job accomplished.

I would no longer be able to talk and laugh with my daughter, friend, and confidant. She has now forever gone to heaven to live with God. I stumbled through the next days of my life with a heavy fog of helplessness. It was tough to make a simple decision and other people had to make them on my behalf. With raw emotions, I went through my days like a robot. I didn’t realize how many lives she had impacted with her friendship, love, caring, and kindness. I just wanted to hibernate from the world and cry. My heart was shattered like a broken piece of glass on the floor, spreading in every direction, my emotions raw with pain. My life has forever been changed.

The out pouring of love and support from people for us was an act of pure kindness and love I never expected. Friends, family, and neighbors gathered around us to offer their love, support, and whatever we might have needed at that time.

Professionals say you go through 5 stages of grief. I probably went through all of them many times. It has been two years now, and now I call myself a survivor. I am still going to therapy, take my medication, and have had many talk sessions with a grief counselor. It has made a such a positive impact on my life. I am still grieving for her, but moving forward. I have screamed, cried, gotten angry at God, and even bargained with him. Journaling and talking have been the best things for me. I was told to feel my feelings, and not hold them in. I will continue to do that. I have days that are wonderful and days when I just want to be left alone with my thoughts. I have become much more spiritual in my thoughts. I still ask the question “Why?”

I will walk down this path for the rest of my life without her. It is a long, hard and rough road that I will be on. It is said it takes an army to raise a child. I now have my own army of love and support for which I am so grateful. My journaling is a great outlet for my feelings. It gets the haunting thoughts out of my head, and I can release them if only on paper. Over and over, I may write the same thing. We all grieve differently and in our own way.

pexels-photo-4

I still deal with many feelings, moods, and things I don’t understand. Her memory will live on in me, her daughter, and all the other people that love and miss her. I would like to mentor other people traveling down this rough, tough, lonely road in my future. I am still working on me and hope one day I can help others as I have been helped by professionals, and the love and caring friends, and family. I pray for guidance and direction every night, and for God to watch over my angel.

I can’t take the blame for the choices she made, and I won’t. I choose to survive one day at a time.

My granddaughter is now 2, has a wonderful father, and a man I am blessed to have in my life.

I am a survivor, and for that I give thanks.

1. Wendy Faust

This is the same way I feel after loosing my son to suicde , you have a granddaughter oh I wish I had one too , I have his car his clothes. I also pray for peace in my heart and I journal too
    My plan is to help others, and will be doing this soon.
    I’m at 14 months of this club I never wanted to join ! Thanks for sharing
    Mom of a angle

• Joann Jungels

Thank you for reading my story, and believe me it is a club I never wanted to join either. I hope that you will share your story, it is not easy, but it does help. I wish you peace in your heart, and hope that you can help others too down with their journey through grief. I still plan on doing it, however, it may take me some time to do that.
      Joann

2. Rebecca Huff

I can so relate to your story. I lost my son to suicide June 1, 2015. I came out of my fog around 10 months. I just started to journal last month. I have been in therapy before and Journaling and talking about it helps the most. I wish my son had children but he didn’t at the age of 35. My immediate family are here for me but other family members avoid his name. I do understand they feel uncomfortable. But I need to talk about him. Thank you for sharing and opening up your heart to us. Love to you and your family! ♡

3. Nick

I think what resonates with me is always asking that question of “why?” I lost my daughter on 4/20/15, she was 15 and still try to search for a “why”, even though I know that no answer will ever suffice. It’s a pain I’ll bear every day and it’s a feeling that I must adapt to from here on forward. You become forever changed, and it’s unlike anything that’s easily explainable. I too write a little, and it does help, but it can be painful at times. Being a man, we typically stuff those feelings and emotions away, so that in itself becomes another hurdle in this journey. But I have learned that it is good to cry.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and story.

• Joann Jungels

Thank you for reading my story Nick. I too can become emotional when I am journaling. Just bringing up all those hurtful feelings is painful, but I continue to shed my tears and just go on journaling about them. The why question will forever be part of the grieving process, and we just have to accept that we are not in control of their choices, so don’t take the blame for her actions. We are changed forever, and we have to learn a new way to keep pushing forward in our life some days are just one step at a time. I wish you serenity in the future, and feel and journal your feelings, it does wonders.
      Joann

4. Judy Chada

My dear sister Joann..how my heart aches for you, and will ache forever for JLJ. I am so proud of you for writing this – it is so out of your comfort zone. JLJs suicide brought out a strength in you that I don’t think you knew existed. I’m so glad to see you open up to help others, and in doing so, help yourself. Remember, JLJ isn’t gone, shes just gone ahead, and you will see her again in the Kingdom of God. In the meantime, you can see her in your beautiful granddaughters face.
    We are each others ‘rock’ and have always been there for the other, and will continue to do so forever. I love you sister with all my heart and all my soul.